Depression & Anxiety
When talking to a Psychologist for the first time, many people who are suffering from depression and anxiety describe feeling like they are in a ‘black hole’; they want to get out but don’t know how to. Before seeking help from a Psychologist, people with depression and anxiety commonly report experiencing symptoms such as:
- Persistent low mood
- Sleep disturbance
- Reduced/increased appetite
- Low motivation
- Poor memory and concentration
- Reduced energy & activity levels
- Decreased pleasure from normal hobbies or activities
- Headaches, aches & pains
Without treatment from a Psychologist, depression & anxiety can lead to relationship breakdowns, job loss, suicidal thoughts, self-harm and/or substance abuse. According to John Ashfield, author of “Taking care of yourself and your family” left untreated an episode of major depression may last 6 to 12 months and 50% of people who recover from an untreated episode are likely to relapse within 2 years.
The registered Psychologists within our team can assist you with effective strategies to reclaim your life from the debilitating effects of depression & anxiety by:
- Helping you to understand the thoughts which trigger feelings of depression & anxiety
- Providing you with information about practical steps you can take each day to improve your mood, manage stress and increase emotional resilience
- Teaching you how to relax and to live in the present moment rather than being bound by regret about the past or fear of the future
- Working with you to develop positive goals for the future
- Improving your communication & problem solving skills
- Developing a relapse management plan to reduce the risk of further episodes of depression or anxiety
The Psychologists at Sheridan’s Psychology Pty Limited integrate a range of therapeutic approaches including cognitive behavioural therapy, narrative, brief solution focused therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy and interpersonal therapy to enable people to recover from the debilitating effects of depression and anxiety. The services provided by Psychologist’s within our practice are covered by Medicare, Private Health Funds, CTP, Work Cover and privately funded.
The warm, friendly and down to earth Psychologists at Sheridan’s Psychology Pty Limited would like to help you move forward and reclaim your life from depression & anxiety so that you can experience joy and vitality again.